For more information about how to use this search form, see the Notes section below the form.
Enter your search terms in only one or two fields. If you enter search terms in more than one field, any results you get will have to match what you entered in all of those fields. Because of this, consider beginning by searching in only one field.
Notes on searching
This search engine is very basic: it will not correct for spelling errors.
Enter your search terms in only one or two fields. If you enter search terms in more than one field, any results you get will have to match what you entered in all of those fields. Be as accurate as possible in your spellings, Do not include any punctuation or quotation marks in your entries. If you get no results, reduce the number of fields in which you search.
Explanation of fields
- Century: enter 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, whenever the composer lived.
- Country: enter the first three letters of most of the countries, except: BRZ for Brazil, URG for Uruguay, ElS for El Salvador, or DR for Dominican Republic.
- Composer: enter last name then first name, without a comma between them (ex. Villa-Lobos Heitor), or any part of the name (the last name would give you the most likely answers). Do not use accents or other marks (ç, ñ).
- Title: enter an entire title or part of title.
- Voices: enter mixed, SATB, women, SSA, men, children, or any other voicing you want; you may also enter arr (for arrangement) before the voicing, and/or ac (for a cappella) after the voicing; sometimes just vv (= voices) is the only information in the field.
- Solos: enter a voice part (S Mz A T Bar B), or narr (=narrator), or dancer.
- Instruments: enter instr for instrument, ens for ensemble, orch for orchestra, brass for brass ensemble, str for string ensemble, band or any of the listed abbreviations for individual instruments
- flute = fl
- piccolo = pic
- oboe = ob
- clarinet = cl, bass clarinet = bcl
- saxophone = sax
- bassoon = fg, contrabassoon = cfg
- trumpet = tr
- trombone = tb
- tuba = tba
- piano = pf or piano
- keyboard = kybd
- harpsichord = hpsd
- percussion = pc or perc
- guitar = gui
- xylophone = xyl
- basso continuo = bcont
- continuo = cont
- violin = vl
- viola = va
- violincello = vc
- contrabass = cb
- Text: enter the author’s first and/or last (in that order, without a comma between); or Bible; or the language abbreviation. The text is assumed to be Spanish unless otherwise noted in the field, so do not enter Sp (=Spanish). If there is a singable translation, it will be noted in this field).
Port = Portuguese
Eng = English
Lat = Latin
Fr = French
Ger = German
- Season: also includes themes, Xmas (= Christmas), Lent, and Easter. This information is often not available for entries, so your search will not include every piece that for a particular theme or season. Your results will only be a partial list of what you are looking for.
The following fields will appear as part of your search results, but they contain primarily abbreviations, and are not practical for quick searches. As a result, they are not currently included in the search form.
- Publisher: enter one of the abbreviations of the publishers listed in the Publishers database. General abbreviations are np (not published), per (periodical), anth (anthology), and coll (collection).
- Recording: enter one of the abbreviations in the Discography database.
- Opus Information: this field contains a wide variety of descriptive material, including a season, holiday, commission, year of composition, mood, theme, etc.